What Fire and Smoke Damage is Covered by Insurance?

Portland OR | Vancouver WA | Clark County WA

Fire damage on a house - BCC Restoration in Portland OR

Having fire or smoke in your home can be a terrifying experience. Unfortunately, the problem doesn’t stop once the fire is out. Cleanup and restoration can be a long process, especially if the fire spread to multiple rooms or caused structural damage. Paying for the necessary repairs may feel like an extremely overwhelming situation. Thankfully, many types of fire and smoke damage are covered by standard homeowners insurance policies. The experts at BCC Restoration will explain what you need to know about insurance coverage, submitting a claim, and more. 

Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Fire Damage?

Homeowner’s insurance policies typically cover fire damage caused by unexpected and accidental events, such as electrical malfunctions, lightning strikes, or kitchen accidents. Most even cover additional things like candle fires or grease fires. Standard policies also usually include smoke damage cleanup and repairs. That said, it’s important to note that the fires must be accidental; policies do not cover fires that you have intentionally set in your home, even if you did not originally intend for them to cause damage.

What Fire and Smoke Damage Does Insurance Cover?

Most standard homeowner’s insurance policies cover the dwelling itself, as well as other structures on your property, such as garages or sheds, in the event of fire damage. Additionally, your policy may include coverage for personal belongings, such as furniture, clothing, and electronics, that are damaged or destroyed by fire. It’s crucial to maintain an up-to-date inventory of your possessions and their estimated value to ensure a smooth claims process.

In some cases, homeowner’s insurance may also provide coverage for additional expenses you incur as a result of fire damage. This can include temporary accommodations if your home becomes uninhabitable, as well as costs associated with debris removal, cleaning, and rebuilding.

What Does Insurance Not Cover?

It’s important to note that homeowner’s insurance policies may have limitations and exclusions, such as coverage caps, deductibles, or specific requirements for fire prevention measures. We recommend consulting with your insurance provider or reviewing your policy documents to determine exactly what is or isn’t included in your plan.

How Do I Submit a Claim?

If you’ve experienced fire damage, it’s important to contact your insurance provider as soon as possible to initiate the claims process. Document the damage thoroughly by taking photographs and making a detailed list of affected items. If possible, gather a firefighter’s report about the incident. Additionally, keep records of any expenses you incur related to fire damage and maintain open communication with your insurance company throughout the restoration process.

If you don’t feel comfortable or confident with initiating the claims process, give BCC Restoration a call! We have 17 years of experience serving the Vancouver WA area, and we know how to get the best outcomes when working with insurance companies. Our team will walk you through the process and ensure you are set up for success. 

Get Fire Damage Repairs and Insurance Assistance 

At BCC Restoration, we understand the complexities of dealing with fire damage and insurance claims. Our experienced team can work closely with you and your insurance provider to ensure a smooth and efficient restoration process. We are here to guide you every step of the way, from helping you navigate your homeowner’s insurance policy to fully restoring your property. To learn more or get started, give us a call today!

Back to Fire Damage Restoration

What Fire and Smoke Damage is Covered by Insurance? in Portland OR - Vancouver WA

Serving Vancouver WA and Portland OR

Camas | Washougal | Ridgefield | Woodland | Battle Ground | Gresham | Beaverton | Hillsboro | La Center

Hockinson | Amboy | Hillsboro | Beaverton | Tigard | Gresham | Woodburn | Salem